Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Why and When do I Judge?

I haven't posted here in a while because I have not been struck with any strong observations of myself judging. Today I thought, well, that is an even better thing to write about! Just like any habit, anything we do from the conditioned mind can be changed. Awareness seems to be the key to making change. Once I was aware that I was judging things in my world, labeling them and backed with emotion, I started asking myself why. When you have the why, you can begin to start changing the what. I have received some feedback from readers about my subject choice and about how "they" don't judge, "live and let live" one says, another "I like everyone, doesn't matter what they are". I am not writing about the common known judging such as by the color of an other's skin, or the way they look, or whether we agree or disagree with other's choices and beliefs. I am talking about the labeling of "good" or "bad" the labeling that is loaded with emotion, the labeling that interferes with us seeing the world clearly and with out judgement. We can learn by asking ourselves when and why do I judge? James, my husband and I just had a conversation about this, using a subject that we have observed. When individuals are receiving money, hand outs, not earned help just because it is available, from our tax dollars we work hard to pay we judge their behaviors. They have cable t.v., cigarettes, can pay for tattoos, alcohol, etc... but can't feed or clothe or house themselves we become emotionally charged to judge those behaviors. How can we not judge when an other's choices affect our lives directly? I'll be back as soon as I find the answer, wait that might be never, so I'll be back when I have more insight!

1 comment:

  1. As humans it seems hard for us to not think we have information that makes us believe we can judge a person or situation. Life has shown me over and over that I am ususally wrong when I presume to understand another's experience, even when it is something or someone close to me. I am usually reacting to something the person or situation caused within me - that is the part I need to be responsive to and responsible for. That's hard work. (Interesting new blog dear friend)

    ReplyDelete